Violin, Viola, Cello, Bass – Book 6 and up
July 8th – 13th, 2018
The Advanced String Program includes a 6-day schedule of masterclasses, chamber groups, group performance classes, orchestra, with additional activities planned. Fee includes a t-shirt, and a special evening teen activity.
The Advanced String Program is for students who play at or above the following minimum repertoire levels:
Violin: Handel Sonata in F Major (Suzuki Book 6)
Viola: Marcello Sonata in G Major
Cello: Saint-Saens, The Swan
Bass: Orchestral experience
NOTE – PARTICIPATION IN STUDENT SOLO RECITALS IS BY VIDEO AUDITION ONLY. SEE SOLO AUDITION APPLICATION PAGE FOR DETAILS.
- Registration – $50 per student
- Early Bird Pricing of $25 off Registration will be automatically applied at checkout – no coupon necessary – until the early bird deadline. All students, including siblings, will pay the Early Bird Discounted Rate of $25 instead of $50.
- SIBLING DISCOUNT – AFTER the early bird rate expires, you can still get 1/2 off registration for each sibling. Just register your first child as normal ($50 – no coupon code) and then enter the coupon code SIBLING (all caps) when registering each additional child.
- Advanced Strings Program Tuition – $525
Advanced String Program Electives will be held Monday through Friday.
Irish fiddle music is heard the world over, whether it’s at a traditional pub session, where fiddlers and other musicians gather to play for an evening’s fun, or in a professional setting at a ceilidh (ˈkālē/), concert or festival. The Irish fiddle tradition has become common for fiddlers across the British Isles, Europe, America and beyond, and today some of the finest players are not even Irish by birth. For any violinist wishing to step beyond the Suzuki repertoire and classical style, the Irish jig or reel is one of the first stopping points. Eric Ryan-Johnson has taught Irish fiddle at workshops including the Ottawa Suzuki Institute Mid-Southwest in Kansas, the Greenville Texas Suzuki Workshop, and the O’Flaherty Irish Music Retreats and Youth Camps in the Dallas-area. Students will learn several tunes, then learn to apply Irish fiddle technique and ornamentation to the tunes. Students will perform at the Festival Concert.
Areas which may be covered in this study of conducting include baton technique, score analysis, interpretation, rehearsal techniques, developing leadership skills, and learning how to determine and remember tempos. Instruction is complemented by attendance and participation in ensemble rehearsals. A dedicated teacher, Matt Gold is a classical bass instructor at the College of William & Mary and the Omaha Conservatory of Music Summer Institute, alongside a very successful studio of private bass students.
Designed for young vocalists and instrumentalists, this program focuses on developing individual performance skills in a rock band setting, and lays the groundwork for writing your own songs. All students are encouraged to explore song writing at their own level, but covering songs will be common. Tim Warden is the vocalist and guitarist of Rozenbridge, a “ripping and dynamic duo,” along with cellist Christian Serrano. Rozenbridge is known around NW Arkansas for their refreshing mix of music genres: folk, reggae, bluegrass, rock, and metal. Their style ranges from high energy to a soft, ambient-intimate setting. They regularly feature and collaborate with other local artists and work to showcase and bring together the artistic/music community in NWA.
Housing and Meals
Participants may reside in the Teen Dorm if they are age 14 and up.
Advanced String Program Students age 13 and under must be accompanied by a parent. Visit our OSI Basic Housing and Meals page for information on staying on campus with your child.
- February 15th – Scholarship Application Deadline
- March 1st – Early Bird Registration Deadline
- May 15th – Registration Deadline – $50 Late Fee after this Date
- June 1st – Solo Audition Application Deadline
- June 1st – “Earn Your Way to Institute” Ad Sales Deadline
- June 1st – Deadline to Notify the OSI Office of Any Changes in Working or Polished Pieces
- June 15th – Signed Teen Dorm Contracts Due (These will be sent to you the first week of June)
Click here to download your PDF Campus Map