Housing is available in newly renovated university dormitories. Meals are available cafeteria-style with a varied daily menu that includes vegan, vegetarian, allergy and gluten-related options at every meal.
If you prefer not to eat cafeteria meals, but are staying in the dorms, there are community kitchen areas in the dorms (which are in the same building as most of your classes!) where you can prepare food. Refrigerators, microwaves, and stoves are available.
Housing and Meals – Teacher Trainees
6 Nights Basic Packages
Housing and Meal Basic Packages include six days/nights (Sun-Fri), all meals included from Sunday evening through Saturday morning. Additional nights may be added if you begin training prior to Sunday, but meals will not be available during the extra days.
- Housing and Meals Package – $320
- Housing Only (No meals) – $180
- Meal Ticket Only (if you are staying off campus but eating meals at the cafeteria) – $150
Additional Days Available
If you are taking the Book 1 Training, you will need to choose a 6-night basic package and ALSO check 1 extra night on your registration. (Checking in Saturday, Checking out Saturday) Note: The cafeteria is only open from Sunday dinner to Saturday breakfast. All other meals are on your own.
If you are taking the ECC course AND the Book 1 Training, or Book 2 and 3 Double Unit Training, you will need to choose a 6-night basic package and ALSO check the 2 extra nights option on your registration. (Checking in Friday, Checking out Saturday. Again, all meals before Sunday dinner are on your own.)
- $40 per day (meals on your own)
If you are flying in on Thursday and need housing Thursday night, please call or text Beth Day at 479-685-5232. Accommodations will be booked on a case by case basis.
Where you will stay:
- Teacher trainees will stay in Walker Hall, located on the quad, in the center of all that OSI has to offer. You won’t have to walk far to classes or meals!
- Each room has two beds, and each room shares a common bathroom with the next room.
- Each floor of Walker Hall has a common area kitchenette with a refrigerator, stove, and microwave. Just make sure you mark all your food so that it doesn’t get mixed up!
All of our residence halls are equipped with a magnet locking system and will be locked between midnight
and 6 am. Should anyone need to leave the building during that time, they will not be able to re-enter without someone to open the door from inside or calling the JBU campus safety hotline (479-215-5000).
Also, we ask that you leave the mattress covers on the beds in the residence halls during your stay and ensure, prior to your departure, that all mattress covers remain on the beds. Campers tend to roll the mattress cover into their own bedding accidently. Any missing mattress covers will incur a $20 fee.
- Internet Access: Campers will be provided with an internet guest pass for the week.
- All meals are served at the Kresge Dining Hall.
- Meals are available cafeteria-style with a varied daily menu that includes vegan, vegetarian, allergy and gluten-related options at every meal.
- At registration, each camp participant and parent will receive a wristband which must be worn into the dining hall at every meal.
- Children ages 3 and under eat free and do not need a wristband or meal plan.
- Lost wristbands need to be reported immediately to OSI staff and a new wristband will be issued.